Dad's Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie
Every year, JEP makes a pumpkin for Thanksgiving from a fresh pumpkin, home grown when available. This is the evolving recipe.
Makes 1 pie.
- 1.5 - 2 cups baked pumpkin (1 small pumpkin)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground clove
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
- 12 oz evaporated milk
- 1 9" pie crust
- Cut pumpkin in half and clean
- Bake pumpkins in pan with water, shell up at 350 degrees for 40 mins until tender
- Cut meat out of shell.
- Puree pumpkin meat for a long time. At least 60 seconds. Really.
- Blend ingredients
- Pour mix into 9" crust (in oven, to reduce mess), or non-stick sprayed pie pan for crust-less pie
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (Really!)
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15 mins
- Put crust saver on the crust to prevent burning
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes, until firm in the center. A toothpick or knife should come out cleanly
- Chill and serve with whipped cream
- I prepared two pies, using 3 cups of pumpkin, and it was good.
- I used fresh ground nutmeg, and it was good.
- I accidentally put twice the clove in the mix. I removed some of it.
- Comments on the pie were very favorable.
- Perhaps it is time to work on a better crust. Rory made a pat-in-pan crust, which was good but could be improved.
- This pie might have been a little too spicy, for me. Or it should be served cold?
- One pie was cooked in a convection oven, at 425 for 15 minutes, and 320 for 45 minutes. The bubbles on the top after the pour turned black, but that skin was easily peeled off.